The Arizona and Swansea Railroad started in November of 1909 as a private railroad serving the Swansea Consolidated Gold & Copper Company. It branched from the Arizona and California Railway at Bouse, and headed northwards to the company's mines around Swansea (formerly named Signal). The line began operations in 1910. The railroad was key in moving ore, supplies and people in and out of the growing mining town. Additionally, the railway brought in coal to fire the furnaces, as well as carrying mail, food and milk (produced at a dairy near the depot).
By 1937, declining fortunes had spelled doom, and the line was abandoned. The remaining employees salvaged the rail material to make up for lost wages and left the area. Today, Swansea is a ghost town.
A timetable of the route: