This line was first started in 1902 under the Ione & Eastern Railroad. Construction started in Ione westward in order to serve local mining activity. It was reorganized as the Amador Central Railroad in 1904, who continued the construction of the line to Martell.
While not officially abandoned, the route is not recognized as a "common carrier" route, but instead is utilized for leisure by a local rail enthusiast club who rides their maintenance-of-way speeders on the line.
The map at left shows the entire line, along with various spurs found along the way.